Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Prematurity Awareness Day

Today I'm wearing purple.

I've created this purple ribbon for my office door.


Today I'm supporting Prematurity Awareness Day.

I am supporting, thinking of, and praying for every single baby that has ever been born prematurely and their families.

I am also thinking of and praying for those that will be born in the future.

But I'm thinking of and praying for two special little boys in particular.

One is my son. As you all know, he was born soo premature. He was a micro-preemie. But he fought. And he fought valiantly. The odds were against him. That's why I support March of Dimes. Because there was a time in the past when a baby born at 32 weeks would have died in minutes. Now 32 weekers are considered survivors. And I hope that someday 24 weekers and even 23 weekers will be survivors. Not just some of the time, but most of the time.

The second little boy was born 3 days after my son. At exactly the same gestational age. At the same hospital. He laid in the bed beside my son for two weeks. And we prayed for him the whole time. And we commiserated with his parents and grandparents. I don't know where that little boy is right now, but I know he left the hospital in his parents' arms. And every time that I think of my son, I think of that little boy. And every time I think of him, I pray for him.

So that's what I'm doing today. Wearing purple. Thinking about preemies. Remembering my son. And praying for a survivor that touched my life.

The March of Dimes advocates for mothers and babies.  Today, on the seventh annual Prematurity Awareness Day, the March of Dimes is issuing its second annual Report Card on Premature Birth.  The nation and each state will receive a letter grade, reflecting its premature birth rate.  Visit marchofdimes.com/fightforpreemies to see your state's report card.

No comments:

Post a Comment